Thursday, March 1, 2007

Leaping Forward: The Frog Treats of Indonesia

Frog lunch photos courtesy of Y.B. Agusnugroho.

Do you know that the largest supplier of frog legs to Europe is Indonesia? And I have eaten some of them. In Indonesia, where else?

That fateful day was during one rainy lunch when Agus with wife Ticky and daughter Karen brought me to Mangga Dua for shopping. Agus promised me a surprise and a surprise I did get! I had my very first taste of frog legs. "Swike" is how they call the dish in Indonesia. More details in Agus' blog.

The other frogs you see here are the ones who will join my growing frog collectibles. The one below I bought during our Bandung outing while we were hiking down the volcano hot springs and the one above, I got from the Duty Free store in Hatta-Soekarno International Airport before I boarded my flight on my way home. I really thought I won't be able to bring home a frog from Indonesia because I can't find one since I arrived there. Well, it's not only these frogs I'll be bringing home with me but also the experience of having some of the real ones inside me. Hmmm...

What an interesting way my frog interest has leapt forward! A gastronomic treat it was. Thanks Agus for the treat! So friends, let's move on, or rather, let's leap forward from here.

No comments: